- 1 kg gravy beef or similar, cut into cubes
- 350gr carrots, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 2 small onions, peeled and halved lengthwise (leaving roots in tact on each half)
- 50gr oil
- 2 tlbspns plain flour
- 600ml beef stock
- 1 tlbspn tomato paste
- 1 lge clove garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil and brown meat well. Remove from pot. Lower heat and fry off vegies until lightly browned. Remove.
- Sprinkle pan with the flour, stir along with the oil remaining in the pot, until the roux is light russet brown - this part is important as it imparts soooo much more flavour to the finished dish if you take the time to do this properly...
- Stir in stock, tomato paste, garlic and bring to a boil. Readd meat and vegies with the juices and add bay leaves.
- Pour into large casserole and cook in preheated 170C oven (150 fan forced) for about 2½ hours.
- Stir once during cooking time.