- 1 kg (2 lb) baked or steamed potatoes
- 1 cup white rice flour
- ¾ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 pinches nutmeg (optional)
- 2 eggs
- I use roasted potatoes of a high starch content such as royal blue. When roasted they are hard to push through a sieve as you do traditionally so I use the food processor to mash them. Roasted potatoes do not absorb water like boiled ones will but steaming is good too. So you can mash, sieve or process the potato for this recipe.
- Mix all ingredients with hands. Knead lightly. Shape small portions of the dough into long snakes. On a floured surface, cut snakes into small pieces. Roll each piece on a fork to get the lovely shape and texture that you see in stores. Place a few gnocchi in salted boiling water. As the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot, remove them with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all are cooked.
- I like to serve with a blue cheese sauce, marinara or light tomato sauce.
- Serves four.