Short Crust Pastry:
- 2 Cups plain flour
- 125 grams butter
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of water
- ⅓ Cup plain flour
- ⅓ Cup Cornflour
- 1½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups of hot water
- ⅓ Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 4 egg yolks
- 30 grams butter
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup castor sugar
- Sift flour into a bowl
- Rub butter into flour until texture resember breadcrumbs
- Add water (only enough to form a firm dough). Knead lightly and roll out.
- Fit into a greased family size pie dish and perforate with a fork.
- Cook in a hot oven (200 C) for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Let cool before adding filling.
- Add flours, sugar and salt to a large saucepan.
- Pour in hot water slowly, stir until smooth and well blended.
- Add egg yolks and lemon juice together.
- Add yolk mixture to the saucepan away from heat and stir though until mixed well.
- Add butter and leave to cool slightly before pouring into pie shell.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar whilst continuing to beat until sugar is dissolved.
- Spread the meringue over the pie sealing to the edges of the pastry.
- Bake in a moderate oven (180 C) for 12 minutes or golden brown.