- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- ½ cup milk cochineal (or red food dye)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add beaten eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Fold in sifted flour alternately with milk to make a soft dough.
- Divide mixture into three portions.
- Colour one portion pink with a few drops of cochineal or red food dye.
- Mix cocoa with hot water and mix into second portion.
- Leave third portion plain.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixtures into a well greased and floured block cake tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.
- When cold, ice with marble or vanilla icing.