Mediterranean Bluefin Tuna with Smashed Potatoes
I prefer tuna steaks cooked very briefly in a pan with olive oil but you can grill to your preference as well
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup pitted black olives or a mix of black and green
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tuna steaks about 1.5cm thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 baby or small potatoes
- 3 tablespoons garlic butter
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 8 - 10 minutes until just tender or boil/steam until same. Place on an oven tray and cut a shallow cross in the top of each then squash slightly. Top each with a little of the garlic butter and roast until browning and a bit crunchy (15 - 20mins).
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until tender and lightly browned. Add tomatoes, thyme, salt and olives, and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is well blended and tomato juice has reduced slightly.
- Sprinkle tuna steaks with salt and pepper. In a non-stick fry pan with olive oil on medium high heat sear each side of the tuna steaks. They are best raw in the middle as they will continue to cook after removing them from heat. For steaks this thin I only cook 10 seconds on each side. You can also cook on a grill if preferred. Transfer tuna steaks to individual plates, and top evenly with tomato mixture. Serve with smashed potatoes and a green vegetable.