- Dripping or oil
- 1.5kg chicken
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch pper
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- Combine breadcrumbs, herbs, salt, pepper, and finely chopped onion in a bowl.
- Beat egg lightly and mix in.
- Fill the chicken loosely with the stuffing. Secure the opening with small skewers.
- Heat a small amount of oil or dripping in a baking dish.
- Add the chicken and baste well.
- Roast in a moderately hot oven for 30 minutes
- Baste well and move the chicken around so it doesn't stick.
- Continue cooking until tender, about 1.5 hours.
- Baste every 15 minutes with pan juices.
- To test if it's cooked pierce with a skewer at the second joint. The juice should be clear, not pink.
- Drain and make a gravy with the pan juices.