- 1 kg topside or round steak
- 2 tablespoons flour
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ pint water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- Trim steak. Mix together flour,nutmeg, sugar, salt and cayenne pepper, and rub well into steak.
- Place in a deep flameproof casserole; add
- water, vinegar and sauces.
- Cover with lid.
- Place in oven and cook slowly for 2 hours at 250d to 325dF.
- When cooked, lift steak on to a very hot dish or serve from casserole.
- Serve garnished wih gherkins cut into strips and a few capers.