- 375g frozen puff pastry
- 705g topside steak
- 2 kidneys
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 bacon rasher
- 4 tbls butter
- 2 tbls flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut the steak and kidney into small cubes.
- Peel and chop pnions and carrots. Dice bacon.
- heat 2 tbls butter in a large pan and fry meat until browned.Remove from pan.
- Melt other 2 tbls butter in pan. Stir in the flour.
- Remove from heat and add water, stock cubes, salt and pepper.
- Return to the heat. Stir until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Put meat and vegetables back in pan. Cover and simmer until meat is tender - about 1¼ hours.
- Tip the meat into it a pie dish.
- Roll out thawed pastry until it is just a bit bigger than the pie plate.
- Cut a strip of pastry 1cm wide. Moisten the rim of the pie plate and place strip around the rim.
- Moisten the pastry strip and carefully place rolled out pastry over the top of the dish.
- Trim the edges of the pastry with a sharp knife. Seal and flute the edges.
- Glaze with egg and milk.