- 1 kg stewing steak
- Plain flour with slt and pepper added
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250g mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 3 cups of beef stock
- Trim any extra fat off the steak. Cut the steak into cubes (2.5cm) and roll in the flour.
- Heat the butter and oil in a flameproof casserole dish. Fry the onion until it is soft and then add the meat and fry until brown.
- Slice the mushrooms if they are big and add to the meat with the herbs and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Place the casserole in a moderate oven and cook for 1½ - 2 hours or until the meat is tender.