- 4 tbls butter
- 2kg corner topside
- 3 carrots
- 3 parsnips
- 8 small onions
- 4 medium potatoes
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- 1.25 litres water
- 3 beef stock cubes
- 3 tbls tomato paste
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- A pinch of mixed herbs
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tbls of butter in a large frypan. Add the meat and brown it on all sides. Remoce from the pan.
- Peel and cut carrots and parsnips into big pieces. Peel onions. Peel the potatoes and cut cut in half.
- SAute the veges in te pan until they are golden then remove.
- Melt the rest of the butter and add the flour and stir over heat until it is dark brown but don't burn it.
- Remove from the heat and add the water and mix.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, worcestershire, herbs, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Return to the heat and stir until it boils and thickens.
- Put the meat into a large saucepan and pour over the sauce. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer gently for 2 hours.
- Add the veges and simmer for another 30 mins or until the veges are tender.
- Keep the meat and veg warm while you bring the sauce to the boil and boil uncovered until a gravy thickness.