- 2 kg boned lamb forequarter
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 tbls butter
- 1 large onion
- 3 tbls butter
- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbls fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbls lemon rind
- 2 tbls mixed herbs
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 egg
- Peel and finely chop onion.
- Melt butter in a pan and fry onion until transparent.
- Combine onion and butter with breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon rind, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Beat egg, add to mix and mix well.
- Press the lamb down as flat as possible.
- Spread the stuffing over it.
- Pull flap over tightly to enclose the stuffing and secure with skewers.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in a baking dish with butter.
- Bake ina moderate oven for 2 to 2.5 hours.