- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cups diced vegetables such as green beans, zucchini and cauliflower
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 kg chicken thigh or breast fillet, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 2 chopped fresh, large tomatoes
- Pinch of saffron
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups arborio, spanish or medium grain rice
- Heat the olive oil in a 15-inch paella pan (or large, flat based, thin bottomed pan) over medium-high heat. Once hot, fry the vegetables until they start to brown. Remove vegetables from the pan. Add the chicken in batches to the pan and cook through. Remove the chicken. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cook for 1 minute making sure to scrape up any the browned bits from the chicken. Pour in the wine and let it reduce by half, about 2 minutes.
- Return the vegetables and chicken to the pan and pour in the heated stock. Then stir in the rice. Season to taste with salt and boil for 10 minutes. Do not stir the rice again.
- Crumble the saffron across the top of the paella and sprinkle the paprika evenly. Do not stir the rice. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the paella from the heat, cover with foil or a lid and let the paella rest for 5 minutes before serving.