- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon bicarb
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup boiling water
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add beaten egg and vanilla. Beat well.
- Sift flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa.
- Fold in dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Add boiling water and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a well greased and floured block cake tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle with coconut, sprinkles or nuts.