- 250g shortcrust pastry
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup stoned chopped dates
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 125g cream cheese
- Grated nutmeg
- Grease a 24cm Pie Plate, Roll out pastry thinly and line the pie plate with it. Crimp the edge. Simmer dates, orange rind and water in a small saucepan until thick. Cool.
- Spread over pastry shell. Soften cream cheese, add sugar and eggs a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in milk and vanilla. Pour over the dates. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake in a hot oven (200 C) for 10 minutes, then reduce
- the heat to 160 C for a further 30 minutes or until pastry is cooked and filling
- set and lightly browned. 8 servings.