Extra Light and Fluffy Pancakes
This recipe incorporates whipped egg whites for extra light and fluffy pancakes. Because they use the yolks and melted butter, they are still rich and tender.
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose, pastry, or cake flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cups milk, more or less
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl, mix the yolks, most of the milk, and the melted butter together until smooth.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the mixed wet ingredients all at once.
- Stir until just combined. (Over-mixing will make for a tough pancake.)
- Beat the egg whites until light and fluffy and soft peaks appear as for meringue. Add the
- sugar toward the end of the beating. Fold the egg whites gently into the batter with a spatula.
- Add milk as necessary to get the right consistency.
- Cook as you would other pancakes.