I alter this recipe quite often. This one can be quite spicy depending on the chilies used. If you know your chilies are very hot then remove the seeds from a proportion of them. A sweeter version is here. (Oh and it is easiest to peel a green mango with a vegetable peeler.)
- 24 green mangoes
- 6 cups sugar
- 250 grams preserved ginger
- 12 small chilies
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 500 grams sultanas or raisins
- 125 grams fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoon green ginger
- 1.4 litres of vinegar
- Boil the sugar with half of the vinegar to a syrup.
- Add the other ingredients, all chopped finely.
- Add the remaining vinegar slowly and boil until the chutney thickens to a nice consistency and colour. (About 2 hours)
- Pour into sterilised jars for storage.