- 4 large lamb shanks (preferably French cut, but not essential)
- 2 Tbls. flour
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 rasher of bacon, finely diced
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 1 Tbls. ketchup
- 1 Tbls. soy sauce
- 1 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbls. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ cup water
- Trim shanks of excess fat and roll in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Brown shanks in a heavy based pan. Remove.
- Saute onion, bacon and garlic and then add browned shanks.
- Combine all other ingredient and pour over shanks.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to very low simmer, cover and cook on the stove-top or in a low oven (better) for about 2-2½ hours.