- 1 cup of split peas
- 2 litres water
- 1 large onion
- 4 sticks of celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 cloves
- sal and pepper
- 5 bacon bones or 1 ham hock
- Soak the peas overnight in water. Chop the onions, celery and carrots. Put everything into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer covered for 2 to 3 hours or until meat and veges are all soft.
- Remmove the bones and puree it all in a blender or push through a sieve.
- Pour the soup back into the rinsed saucepan.
- If you have used a ham hock then take the meat off the bones, chop it up and add to the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and reheat the soup gently.