- 1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 150g frozen peas
- 40g kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon provencal herbs (thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley & chives)
- ¼ cup torn basil leaves
- 500g peeled kipler potatoes (or similar)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- ) Preheat oven to 180°C.
- ) Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken legs and cook until browned, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- ) Add the onion and celery to the frying pan and stir for five minutes or until softened.
- ) Add the garlic and mushrooms and stir for one minute or until softened.
- ) Add the tomatoes, stock and olives and bring to the boil.
- ) Add the chicken. Cover the dish with tight-fitting lid or foil, and bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- ) Add the peas, provencal herbs and basil leaves, then return to the oven for another five minutes.
- ) Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water until tender, then drain well. Transfer to a bowl and add the extra oil. Toss together, crushing them a little, while remaining chunky. Serve with the chicken sprinkled with basil if desired.
- ) Spoon casserole into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle some fresh torn basil leaves on top. Serve potatoes on side.
Recipe by Luke Mangan For Lilydale Select Free Range Chicken The Luke Mangan Lilydale Free Range Dining Rub range will be available from March 9 in selected Coles, Thomas Dux, Harris Farm Market and David Jones Food Halls throughout New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, and the ACT.