- ½ cup sugar
- 150 ml cold tea, strained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon ginger or orange marmalade
- 250g wholewheat self-raising flour
- Place the dried fruit in a large bowl with the sugar. Pour over the strained cold tea and leave to stand overnight.
- Next day stir in the egg, marmalade and flour and mix well. Spoon into a buttered 1 kg loaf tin (pan). Bake in a preheated moderate oven (160°C) for 1.5 hours, or until firm.
- Leave to cool in the tin (pan) for 5 to 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack. Allow 2 to 3 days for maturing before cutting. Makes one 1 kg loaf.